Ok so I’ve put together a list of 10 things I think every man should have. They’re neither hard to get nor expensive but for some reason a lot of people don’t have them. So I decided to make your lives easier and post them all in one spot. All you have to do is make a mental checklist to see what your missing…and if you are missing something, please go get it!
So here we go:
1 A Good Suit. Every man needs at least one suit suitable for births, deaths, and weddings. Nothing flashy with this one; just plain black or navy. With this being said you will also need a pair of black leather shoes and a nice white shirt to accompany the suit.
2. A Good Barber/ Hair Dresser. It doesn’t matter if your hair is long or buzzed right down. You need to make sure that you keep it neat and well-groomed. No one likes you if you’re looking sloppy.
3. A Tailor You Trust. A good tailor can help you with everything from alterations to your suit to bringing in the legs of your jeans. I don’t care if you’re an investment banker or a plumber; everyman needs to have a tailor (your wife or mother who knows how to sew doesn’t count)
4. A Gym Membership. This is just common sense. It doesn’t matter what you do for a living, you will always have time to work out and stay in shape. If a gym isn’t your thing then go play sports, life weights at home. Whatever you like, just stay healthy and stay in shape. The benefits far outweigh the cost in this one.
5. A Nice Watch. The reason that a good watch is important is two-fold. First of all punctuality never hurt anyone. But more importantly investing in a good watch is a great way to show off a bit of flair with any outfit while also making a mediocre outfit seem far more expensive and polished. The way I look at it is this; its cheaper to buy a good watch to pull together an outfit then to just buy an expensive suit.
6. Casual Boots. And no; I don’t mean big clunky winter boots or the army boots you bought at a surplus store. I mean a nice pair of boots then you can throw on with a pair of jeans and wear out on the weekend. You can’t wear your Nike High Tops forever but a good pair of boots never goes out of style. When it comes to boots the colour is important, black tends to seem kind of militant so I would go for a brown desert boot. (check out Clark’s desert boots, their well priced and will last you forever)
7. Stocked Tool Box. I shouldn’t have to explain this one. Just have a tool box in case stuff breaks around the house…buy one even if you don’t know how to use the tool’s in it. end of story.
8. Passport. It’s just something that’s always important to have because you never know what will happen. You don’t want to limit yourself by not owning one. It takes far less time to plan that trip to Europe then to wait for your passport to come in the mail. So don’t miss any trips because you were too lazy to get your photo taken.
9. A Cookbook. Let’s be honest here. Most of you probably can’t do anything other than barbecue and cook Kraft Dinner. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but if you’re having your lady or anyone worth impressing over you better learn some new recipes…and fast. The easiest way to do that is to just have a cookbook you can open up. I would however try experimenting with some of the recipe’s first. Just in case.
10. A Good Group Of Guy Friends. Whether you call them your bro’s your homies…whatever. Have them because they’ll always know when to take you out for a beer to get over a hard day at work, or to the strip club after a bad breakup. Guy’s don’t really need to bitch about their feelings because we have our guy friends who just get it…without having to be all mushy about it.
So I hope this helps and if you think I missed anything on my list please let me know in the comment box!
A Well Dressed Man – A look into fashion, life and love for a man today. Get tips on looking good and feeling your best. Come check it out and feel free to leave comments and questions, I’ll be more than happy to answer them.